\u00a0 \u00a0\u00a0\r\n\r\n\r\nCarbon Monoxide Detector\r\n7 Ways to help prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (CO)\r\n1)- Have carbon monoxide detector installed on each level of your home\r\n\r\n2)- Have your home\u2019s\u00a0heating and venting systems inspected\u00a0annually\r\n\r\n3)- Have your wood-burning and gas fireplace serviced yearly\r\n\r\n4)- Do not use charcoal grills inside your house or fireplace\r\n\r\n5)- Never operate a gasoline-powered engine in an unvented garages or basement.\r\n\r\n6)- Never operate a car, mower or generator, running in the garage,\u00a0even with the garage door open\r\n\r\n7)- Never use a gas range or cook stove for heating inside your home, cabin, tent or camper\u00a0\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nCarbon Monoxide\u00a0poisoning\u00a0is often referred to as \u201cCO\u201d\u00a0poisoning . . .\u00a0\u00a0the "Silent Killer"\r\n\u00a0This\u00a0poisonous\u00a0gas is a byproduct of the burning of any type of fossil fuel, or by-products such as gasoline, natural gas, fuel oils, kerosene, coal, wood, or charcoal.\r\n\r\nWhen you breathe in Carbon Monoxide, it quickly replaces the oxygen in your bloodstream that your body requires.\u00a0Without this needed oxygen, the cells throughout our body die, and your internal organs will begin to shut down. Thus, this is what makes CO gas so dangerous because that you can't see, smell it, or taste it.\r\n\r\nCarbon Monoxide detectors should be installed on each floor of the home!\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nCarbon monoxide\u00a0produces whenever we use our automobiles, fireplaces, charcoal grills, and gas appliances. Usually, these\u00a0appliances\u00a0will cause\u00a0no problems if you correctly vent them.\r\nIn finding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Areas, be sure to inspect both the furnace and hot water heater flues.\r\n\r\nAll of the flue vents in your home, including your dryer vent, need to be\u00a0serviced\u00a0regularly. \r\n\r\nCO can become very deadly with just a minimal amount of exposure. It is important to be aware of the many signs of CO poisoning, and knowing what to do may mean life or death for you or your loved ones.\r\n\r\nCarbon\u00a0Monoxide\u00a0trouble often occurs when cars, trucks, or other\u00a0engines are left running in enclosed spaces, such as garages. Therefore idling a car in an open garage\u00a0could\u00a0be\u00a0very\u00a0dangerous, as fumes leak back up into\u00a0the living space of the home.\r\n\r\nRemoving bird nesting from the fireplace\r\n\r\nSealing and insulating homes may trap poisonous gases inside the\u00a0house. Often this is due to\u00a0misusing charcoal grills,\u00a0generators and heating\u00a0appliances\u00a0in unvented areas of the home.\r\n\r\nYou may have heard of restaurants closing because of customers becoming sick because of CO\u00a0poisoning. Often this occurs in buildings burning gas stoves and ovens consistently.\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nWhat are some of the symptoms of\u00a0CO Poisoning?\u00a0\r\nAs carbon monoxide gases build up in the bloodstream and rob us of oxygen, symptoms may vary but include dizziness, headaches, upset stomach and vomiting. Other warning signs maybe\u00a0a feeling of disorientation, confusion, drowsiness, rapid breathing,\u00a0racing\u00a0of the heart, clamminess of the skin, chest pains,\u00a0blurred\u00a0vision\u00a0and even possibly seizures.\r\n\r\nTherefore, if you breathe in too much CO it could make you pass out or\u00a0even kill you. Because breathing in rather\u00a0low levels of carbon monoxide gas over a prolonged\u00a0period may go somewhat undetected as a feeling of being little sick or coming down with the flu. Those \u201cflu-like\u201d symptoms\u2019 could be causing prolong heart problems or possibly brain damage.\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nThree\u00a0Signs of a possible chimney flue blockages that may be causing spillage of very deadly Carbon Monoxide gases into your home.\r\n1-\u00a0White chalking called (efflorescence) on the outside of the chimney bricks\r\n\r\n2- Watermarks on the\u00a0walls\u00a0in the basement flue vents\r\n\r\n3-\u00a0Broken flue tiles on the top of the chimney \u00a0\u00a0\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\nHave you heard someone say \u2018I smell Gas\u201d?\r\n\r\nIf you think your smelling the rotten egg sulfur smell of natural\u00a0gas what you are smelling is\u00a0a chemical called Mercaptan and it gives off a very distinctive odor.\u00a0Most people describe as the odor\u00a0as "rotten eggs\u00a0"or hydrogen sulfide.\u00a0So, if you smell rotten eggs - leave the house quickly!\u00a0 Do not use a light switch, telephone or cell phone from within the house; get everyone outside as quickly as you can!\r\n\r\nFinally, everyone is at a potential risk for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.\r\n\r\nAs a result, each year thousands of individuals are dangerously exposed to CO poisoning, requiring emergency room care. Many are hospitalized or even die in their own home.\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n. . . . . \u00a0In conclusion, we\u00a0can't See, Smell, or Taste Carbon Monoxide, but we\u00a0can all learn how to identify it, treat it and prevent it!\r\nClick here to check out more videos from Ask the Chimney Sweep.\r\n\r\n?